Beautiful and healthy hair is the dream of every person. You need to take proper care of your tresses by following a strict routine of washing, oiling and brushing them. No matter what type of hair you have, oiling them is a must.
In fact, individuals from all walks of life use various types of oil on hair to stimulate the growth and health of their hair. One such great product is olive oil which is obtained from olive, a traditional tree crop found in the Mediterranean Basin. This oil is highly beneficial for hair as it helps in treating various scalp problems and maintaining the overall health of your hair.
Hair benefits of olive oil are as follows:
- The best benefit of this oil is that it prevents and cures the problem of hair loss caused due to the presence of a hormone called DTH. Olive oil prevents the production of DTH hormones on the scalp, thus solving the problem of hair loss.
- It also contains many nutrients such as Vitamin E, niacin, biotin and vitamin D that are beneficial for hair and scalp. Regular usage of this oil makes hair thicker in density and stronger.
- The antioxidants present in this oil help in improving the condition of the scalp by getting rid of free radicals that accumulate on the scalp. This in turn improves new cell growth, prevents premature aging and nourishes the hair.
- Olive oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties that help in keeping scalp free of any type of infections. A healthy and clean scalp helps in the growth of thick hair.
- This oil also acts as a natural conditioner for hair. In other words, applying olive oil on hair makes it shiny and soft. Well conditioned hair always looks good.
- Olive oil is also beneficial in solving the problem of dandruff and head lice.
- Olive oil when used for massaging the scalp and hair increase the blood flow to the scalp. Also, we all know that the whole act of massaging is very relaxing and acts as a great stress buster.
Tips for faster hair growth:
- Take two parts of olive oil and add mix it with one part of coconut oil, sesame or castor oil to it.
- Now warm this mixture to a comfortable temperature for use.
- Take this warm oil and apply it gently with your fingertips to the scalp. Make sure you have applied it to the whole scalp.
- Next take some more and gently apply it from the root to the tips of your hair. This will condition the entire hair strands.
- Once oiling is done, wrap a warm towel around your hair or cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on for around twenty minutes.
- Finally wash your hair with a gentle and mild shampoo with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure once or twice a week over a couple of months to witness positive results.
Note: To enhance the effect of olive oil, add a teaspoonful of fenugreek seeds before warming it. It will help in preventing dandruff also which is a prime reason behind unhealthy hair. Also it will prevent bacterial and fungal infections of the scalp.
Some other hair treatment recipes by using olive oil are:
- You can make a hair mask using olive oil. To make the hair mix, take warm olive oil and add some honey and a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to it. Stir well and then apply it on your hair. Leave it for fifteen minutes and then rinse it off with a shampoo.
- You can also make a conditioner with olive oil. To make a conditioner take half a cup of olive oil and mix it well with an egg yolk and some drops of lemon juice in a bowl. Apply this conditioner on hair and allow it to sit for fifteen minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water and a mild shampoo.
- By drinking a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil every day can help in the treatment of hair loss.
Which one to use?
In the market, you can find different types of olive oil such extra virgin, virgin, pure and extra light. For hair, the extra virgin or virgin olive oil is regarded as the best one. This is because both these versions of olive oil are obtained from the original fruit without being synthetically treated. The other two versions are chemical processed and includes some chemicals also.
To conclude with regular use of olive oil, your hair will become more manageable, healthy and strong. The benefits of this oil have helped people from all age groups to get rid of various hair problems and enjoy luscious hair for years.