Dandruff is a very common hair problem and anyone can suffer from it irrespective of age and sex. It is a very wrong conception amongst people that dandruff is a kind of scalp disease. Well, this is not true at all as dandruff is not a disease but simply the process where dead skins around the scalp starts shedding at a rapid speed and soon gathers in huge amount in and around the scalp.
What is dandruff?
Dandruff is also known by the name of scurf or Pityriasis simplex capillitii. In simple terms it causes dry skin flakes to appear on the scalp. It is a very common hair problem faced by many. In fact, from the entire human body, dead skin cells come out continuously and replaced by new skin cells. In the scalp area also dead skins come out replaced by new skin cells. Normally, the process of shedding old cells in place of new ones is in a very orderly format. But when the process of shedding of dead skins on the scalp increases it results in dandruff.
What are the signs and symptoms of dandruff?
The main sign of dandruff is white flakes on the scalp and in the hair. However there are some other signs too such as:
- Red, greasy patches of skin on the scalp
- Nature of the dead skins is oily
- Feeling of itchiness on the scalp
- Tingly feeling or sensation on the head
- Feeling of soreness on the head
- Rashes on the scalp
Main causes of dandruff:
It is a common misconception amongst people that dandruff is caused by dryness. In reality, it usually happens due to more than the normal growth of harmless yeast. This yeast usually feeds on the excess oil and dead skin cells on the scalp leading to excess shedding of dead skins. This is when one suffers from dandruff.
There can also be both internal and external causes of dandruff. The internal causes range from hormonal imbalance, poor health, poor hygiene, allergic reactions, emotional stress, irregular sleeping pattern, unhealthy eating habits, and heredity and so on.
On the other hand, the external causes of dandruff are excessive use of hair sprays, use of low quality hair color products, excessive use of heat on hair, dry indoor heating system used in the winter months, less use of shampoo to wash hair, and improper hair care routine.
Some Amazing Facts:
- Dandruff can happen at any age but it mostly happens to people between the age group of 12 and 50.
- A form of dandruff known as cradle cap occurs in newborns and infants.
- Dandruff is usually seasonal. During winter, the condition of dandruff can be severe while there can be no dandruff problem during the summer days.
- Apart from the scalp, dandruff can be noticed in the eyebrows, around the ears and along the sides of the nose where natural oil is present.
- With puberty, the first trace of dandruff can be noticed and it can get severe during the mid-twenty’s.
- Hormonal imbalance which begins after puberty in both boys and girls can also be the reason behind dandruff.
- Dandruff is not contagious nor a disease. It can be easily managed and controlled.
- The problem of dandruff can be chronicle (long-term) at times.
- About 50% of people in Western Europe and North America suffer from dandruff.
- Dandruff is more common in men as compared to women, and also amongst people having oily skin.
- People who do not follow a healthy diet are more prone to dandruff.
How to cure dandruff?
It is impossible to cure dandruff. What you can do is take appropriate measures to control it. Here are some easy and simple ways to control dandruff:
- Experts say to wash hair daily when suffering from dandruff. This will help in controlling the oil level on the scalp. Less oil means few dead skin cells will accumulate on the scalp.
- For washing your hair, always use a medicated dandruff shampoo recommended by your doctor.
- Limit the use of bleaching, chemical treatments and hair styling instruments.
- To get relief from itchiness do not use the nails to rub your scalp as it can cause infection.
- Avoid hair coloring as the ingredients used in such products can cause skin irritation on the scalp leading to dandruff.
- Changing your food habit can also help to control dandruff to a certain extent. Avoid eating oily food and increase the intake fresh veggies and fruits in your diet.
- Drinking of eight to ten glasses of water can also be of great help as it will help in maintaining the moisture level of your scalp.
- Oiling your hair with coconut oil, olive oil, rosemary oil and other essential oils before washing your hair is also a great way to control dandruff.
- Routine cleaning of combs and brushes can ensure that no previous fungus is left behind to cause dandruff again.
Point to remember:
An itchy scalp or dry flakes in hair, often make people believe that they are suffering from dandruff. But in reality, it is not necessarily the issue of dandruff at all. So, if after making every effort to control dandruff with no positive results, you must consult your doctor or dermatologist to find out the main reason behind itchy scalp and dry skin flakes.
Well, dandruff is not a big problem. If proper precautions are taken in the beginning it can be controlled to a great extent. However, if you have faced this problem once, you must always make effort to make sure it does not happen again.
Families in USA buy more medicines per person than any other area. The availability of remedies provided by companies is certainly a contributing matter to prescription therapy abuse epidemic. Many patients already know that medications are made to treat health problems, but they can injury us if taken incorrectly. Cialis is a well-known generic used to treat disability to get or keep an erection. Topics such as “viagra alternative” or “otc viagra” are very pop now. Perhaps you already heard about it. What scientists talk about “viagra alternatives“? Other question we should is “over the counter viagra alternative“. Sometimes men who take street drugs like marijuana find it awkward to get an erection and turn to prescription drugs for a temporary solution. Additionally there are various unproven herbal medicines for erectile malfunction.