The market is flooded with different types of hair care products to promote hair growth. But still there are many people who prefer to use natural and easily available household products. One of the most popular ingredients available in home that can be used for hair growth is egg. Using egg for hair treatment is an age-old practice, and is gaining more popularity day by day.
Does egg promote hair growth?
The simple and straight answer to this question is YES. As hair is basically made of protein and egg is a good source of protein, there is a good connection between egg and hair growth. Egg is a product which is rich in proteins, vitamins B and other nutrients that are essential for hair. Raw egg not only promotes hair growth but also make them silky and shiny. Also eggs are natural, inexpensive and free from all side effects.
Some Facts about eggs and hair growth:
- High protein content of eggs can strengthen the hair follicles.
- Egg yolk contains Vitamin A, D and E making it a perfect hair conditioner.
- The vitamin A and E present in egg also helps in preventing hair dryness.
- Vitamin B present in egg increases blood circulation to the scalp.
- The fats present in egg yolk helps to deeply moisturize hair strands.
- The fatty acids help in controlling dandruff and hair loss.
- Egg is also a good source of sulphur, zinc, iron, selenium, phosphorous and iodine as well as calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium to certain extent.
- Egg also contains enzymes that help in keeping the scalp healthy.
Usage of raw eggs:
Raw eggs can promote healthy hair growth and add shine and luster to hair. Raw eggs can be used in many ways to promote hair growth, prevent hair loss and to condition or moisturize the hair. So, let’s take a brief look at how to use raw eggs for hair growth.
- You can use raw eggs alone. Just take an egg and apply it on wet hair. Apply through the hair from the roots till the ends. Leave it for say 15 to 20 minutes before washing it. After washing your hair with shampoo it will become soft and smooth.
- You can mix other natural ingredients like, olive oil, lemon juice, honey, yogurt and castor oil with eggs. This will help to enhance the hair benefits of eggs.
- Take one egg yolk and add one tablespoon of olive or baby oil to it to make a good hair conditioner. Beat it properly and then add some lukewarm water to dilute it. Apply it on wet hair. Leave it for 5 to 10 minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- To control hair loss, mix two egg yolks with about 1 tablespoon of castor oil and use it to massage your scalp. Keep it for half an hour before washing your hair. You must follow this process once a week for positive results.
- For hair growth, take two eggs and mix it with one cup yogurt and one tablespoon honey and lemon juice. Apply this mixture to your hair and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse the hair thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- You can also apply egg yolks to your favorite moisturizing conditioner to give your hair the required amount of protein. Here you must use a moisturizing conditioner that contains very little or no protein ingredients. Mix the conditioner and egg yolk properly and apply it to your hair as a deep conditioner treatment for 15-20 minutes.
- Another popular home remedy for hair is to mix egg yolk with yogurt and lime skin. Apply this mix properly on the hair and keep it for 10 minutes. Wash it with cold water for a conditioned hair.
Include Egg In Your Diet:
You must eat at least one egg daily to promote healthy hair. Eggs can be used in different ways in your diet such as scrambled eggs, hard-boiled eggs, egg omelet or an egg salad. By eating eggs your hair will grow faster as they are rich in protein along with other minerals like sulphur, zinc, iron, selenium, phosphorous and iodine as well as calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium to certain extent. They also contain Vitamin B-1, B-2, B-12, biotin and choline. All these nutrients are very important for maintaining the overall health of your hair. When eating eggs to promote hair growth, be sure to eat the egg yolk and not just egg whites for better results.
Some more tips:
- Whenever you use egg on hair, always wash off your hair with cold water. Hot water will make your hair smelly.
- When using egg conditioner, apply it to every section of the hair with more focus on the hair ends in case of split ends.
- Do not leave an egg conditioner on your hair for more than 20 minutes. Eggs contain a lot of protein can cause the hair to dry out if used for a longer time period.
- Use egg conditioner once in a month as it is an intense protein treatment, and overuse can have negative impacts.
- After applying egg, always wash your hair properly with a nice smelling shampoo and conditioner.
- Don’t eat raw eggs as it can cause biotin deficiency in your body leading to hair fall.
To conclude, egg can surely help in maintaining the hair quality and improving the hair growth rate. It also helps in keeping hair shiny. Start eating an egg daily or apply egg on your hair once a week to feel the difference in your hair quality and health