If your hair lacks shine and you are frustrated with its frizzy nature, there can be lack of moisture in your hair. Also lack of moisture can be the reason behind split ends, slow hair growth, and excessive hair breakage. Well, there is nothing to worry about as moisture imbalance in hair can be easily fixed. Right balance of protein and moisture can make a lot of difference in the way your hair looks and the rate of your hair growth.
Each strand of hair is comprised of two layers – an inner layer called cortex and an outer layer called the cuticle. Cortex determines the color and texture of your hair, while the main work of cuticle is to protect the cortex. Both cortex and cuticle are made out of keratin, a kind of protein. Healthy hair is composed of around 88% protein and 12% water. For healthy hair growth, there should be a proper balance between the moisture and protein level. Any kind of imbalance in the ratio of moisture and protein will lead to unhealthy head of hair.
Less protein will cause thinning of hair, excessive hair loss and less elasticity. On the other hand due to lack of moisture, the hair cuticle will dry out resulting in dull and brittle hair. Less moisture will also cause untimely hair breakage. Also hair without any moisture will look lifeless.
There are mainly three reasons for lack of moisture in your hair:
- Hair lacks moisture when the natural oil called sebum is having difficulty in reaching your hair shaft. Sebum is a kind of oily substance secreted by the sebaceous glands on the scalp. This sebum locks the moisture in hair shafts and offer extra protection to it. Sebum also prevents hair from drying out. This mainly happens amongst people having natural, curly and wavy hair.
- Exposure of hair during too much hot or cold weather. During the summer days, the environmental pollution along with the harmful UV rays of the sun can make hair dryer. Also during the winter months when hair is exposed to the outside wind and cold it becomes dry. So, it becomes essential to protect your hair by covering it with a cap, hat or a bandana.
- Usage of hair care products having chemicals can clog the pores on your scalp. Clogged pores will prevent hair shaft from retaining the moisture. Also wrong hair products can be harmful. For instance if you have dry hair you cannot use a shampoo or conditioner meant for oily hair.
Hair needs water to stay hydrated and enjoy good hair growth. Moisture is the key to healthy, growing hair. There are several benefits of keeping hair well moisturized; such as it strengthens the hair, helps in its growth, and helps hair to get the essential nutrients. People having oily hair do not have to worry about moisturizing their hair, but those having dry hair need to make extra effort to hydrate their hair from time to time.
Some tips to maintain the moisture level in hair:
- Use shampoos having moisturizing ingredients to keep your hair soft and healthy even after washing it. Buy pH optimized hair care products to add elasticity and shine to hair. Such products will help in maintaining the moisture and protein level in hair.
- After shampooing your hair never forget to apply a good quality conditioner on your hair to maintain the oil balance on your scalp. A well-conditioned hair looks great.
- At times go for co-washing which means washing your hair with a conditioner only.
- When going out, put a little serum on the hair to offer it protection from the sun, wind, dust and everyday dirt.
- Avoid using hair care products that contain alcohol, mineral oil or petroleum as it can make your hair drier. Such harmful ingredients can clog the pores on your scalp and thus preventing hair to retain the moisture.
- Before going to bed at night, spray your hair lightly with water and glycerin mix. When the hair becomes slightly damp, apply a hair moisturizer and put a plastic cap on your head for 15 minutes. If you wish you can go to sleep like that.
- For sleeping use a silk pillow case because others materials such as cotton can absorb the moisture from your hair.
- Whenever you feel like your hair is too dry, apply some hair moisturizer or simple wet your hair. You can even spray your hair with rose water. Here water mixed with Aloe Vera juice can also be used to offer your hair the much needed moisture.
- Always wash your hair with cold water as it locks the hair cuticle. This allows water to remain intact on hair shaft for a longer period of time.
- Never use hot water to wash your hair as it will strip the hair of its natural oil making it drier.
- Hair care products having ingredients such as olive oil, avocado oil, shea butter, jojoba oil, pomegranate seed oil, palm oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil and so on can keep hair moisturized and add shine to it.
- You can also use jojoba oil or extra virgin olive oil to massage your hair. It will help sebum to lock the moisture in hair shafts.
- Avoid the use of “hot” items such as a blow dryers, irons and curling irons on your hair. If it is very important to use such products, always use a leave in conditioner first on your hair and then use it. Also try to use these items at the minimum temperature setting.
To conclude, moisture is important for the overall health of your hair. Just like your skin; hair also needs constant pampering in the form of moisture. So, make sure your hair is well moisturized to give way to beautiful and healthy hair.
Families in USA buy more medicines per human than any other area. The availability of remedies provided by companies is certainly a contributing question to prescription treatment abuse epidemic. Many patients already know that medications are made to treat soundness problems, but they can damage us if taken incorrectly. Cialis is a well-known generic used to treat inability to get or keep an hard-on. Topics such as “viagra alternative” or “otc viagra” are very pop now. Perhaps you already heard about it. What scientists talk about “viagra alternatives“? Other question we should is “over the counter viagra alternative“. Sometimes men who take street drugs like marijuana find it awkward to get an hard-on and turn to prescription drugs for a temporary solution. Additionally there are various unproven herbal medicines for erectile dysfunction.