Swimming is a healthy exercise. As it is considered a complete workout for your body, many of us prefer swimming to remain healthy. It is true that swimming is good for the health, but at the same time it is bad for the hair as well as skin.
This is because, chlorine, a chemical disinfectant is added to the water in many swimming pools. When the hair gets exposed to swimming pools having chlorine in it on regular basis, it can cause significant damage to your hair. Chlorine strips away the natural oil from the scalp as well hair. This in turn will make the hair excess dry and prone to hair fall and breakage.
Hair experts recommend using a shampoo that contains EDTA or Phytic Acid to get rid of chlorine and mineral build up. Along with a good shampoo, you can also make a hair tonic at home to help hydrate hair and increase shine. In addition, this hair tonic can help stimulate circulation on the scalp, which can aid hair growth.
Ingredients for homemade hair tonic:
- Two cups of filtered water
- One cup apple cider vinegar
- Three sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 large clean plastic bottle
How to make the homemade hair tonic:
- Pour two cups of filtered water into a small to medium-sized sauce pan.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Remove rosemary from stems and then wash them properly under running tap water.
- Now add the washed rosemary leaves into the boiled water.
- Allow the rosemary to boil for seven to ten minutes.
- Afterward, strain the solution and allow it to cool for somtime.
- Add apple cider vinegar to the rosemary water and stir properly.
- Finally transfer the liquid to a large plastic bottle and store the bottle in your shower.
How to use this homemade hair tonic:
- Whenever you need to shampoo your hair after a swimming session, you can use this hair tonic.
- To use it, you need to first dilute one cup of the hair tonic with one cup room temperature water and place in a small plastic bottle.
- After washing your hair with a shampoo, apply conditioner and then rinse your hair properly.
- Now pour the diluted mixture onto the scalp and on the hair, make sure it covers your hair right from the root till the ends.
- Massage your scalp gently with your fingertips for about a minute.
- Afterwards, rinse your hair properly with cool water and allow your hair to dry naturally.
- Once your hair becomes dry, you will have healthy and shiny hair.
Additional tips for swimmers:
- Before hitting the pool, rinse your hair with clean tap water to saturate your hair. This way you hair will absorb less chlorine from the water in the pool.
- Always wear a swimming cap and then enter the swimming pool.
- Once you come out of the pool, rinse your hair several times with clean water to get rid of the chlorine and chemicals from your hair.
So, it’s time to make your own hair care tonic and enjoy swimming without worrying much about your hair.