Hair growth under chin and especially in women can be very frustrating and annoying. Under chin hair growth can make any woman feel unattractive and it can be bad for self confidence and self esteem. Is there any solution to stop hair growth under chin in women? Well, there are many ways to control hair growth under chin in women. However, before looking for a solution you need to find the exact reason behind this particular problem.
When the hair follicles present in the body of a woman gets over stimulated it can make hair growth noticeable in places where normally there is no hair like under the chin. Some common causes of this problem are:
Too much androgen secretion in the body caused due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) or Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD) can lead to under chin hair growth. Hormonal disorder can give rise to unwanted hair growth.
The color and thickness of hair along with the pattern of hair growth is mostly defined by genes. So, if under chin hair is common in your family, then you can also have it.
Too much stress makes adrenal glands to create more androgen. When more androgen gets circulated in your bloodstream, it can lead to excess hair growth.
Excess body weight tends to produce excess androgens. More androgen means increase in hair growth rate.
With age the production of androgens also increases and you can notice hair growth where you have never experienced it before like under your chin area.
Oversensitive hair follicles:
Some women have hair follicles that are simply more sensitive to androgens due to genetics. This results in excessive hair growth in unwanted body areas.
Side effects of drugs:
There are many medicines that can cause hair growth in unwanted places in women. So, it is better to ask your doctor about the side effects of medicines prescribed to you.
Certain diseases like thyroid, diabetics, asthma can cause hirsutism which often stimulates hair growth in unexpected body areas such as under chin.
Well, these are some of the common causes behind unwanted under chin hair growth in women. The good thing is that you can control this problem to some extent.
Now let’s see the under chin hair growth treatment options available for women along with their pros and cons.
Many women pluck each hair noticeable in the chin area. This is a very effective but at the same time very painful process. Also it is time consuming process and requires a lot of patience. Also as the hair grows back you need to repeat the process again and again.
Just like men, there are many women who prefer shaving to get rid of under chin hair. It is a quick and easy method, but no matter how often you shave the stubble may remain behind giving a very ugly feeling.
It is an easy, quick, and smooth process of hair removal. However, waxing is an expensive method and not a permanent solution. You will have to do waxing very regularly and the whole process is also painful.
Hair removal creams:
Nowadays, there are under chin hair removal creams available in the market designed for women. Hair removal creams are very effective but at the same time very expensive. Before using any such cream, you must test it make sure your skin is suitable for use.
It is a permanent and effective chin hair removal option available for women. In electrolysis, a small current is passed through a needle going to the hair follicle to destroy it permanently. This method requires a long time and is very expensive also. This treatment is available at very few beauty salons and clinics.
This is also a permanent solution and at the same time expensive also. It requires 6-8 treatments to completely remove hair from under the chin. Here lasers light are used to damage the hair follicles which cause unwanted hair to fall. The success of laser treatment hugely depends on hair type and skin pigment.
Some easy to follow home remedies:
Apart from the above mentioned methods, there are also some home remedies to control hair growth under chin in women. Some of the easy and simply home remedies that can be done at home to remove hair and slow down re growth of under chin hair are:
- Take 30 grams of sugar and mix it with 10 ml of freshly squeezed lemon juice and add it to 150 ml of water. Apply this solution on the face and massage gently in the direction of the hair growth. Leave it for 15 minutes before rinsing with cold water. Repeat once every week for three to four months to see positive results.
- Take 10 ml lemon juice and mix it into 40 ml honey and prepare a mixture. With the help of some cotton balls and rub it in the direction of the hair growth. Rinse after 15 minutes. Initially repeat the process twice a week for two weeks and then once a week.
- Make a facial mask with 10 ml lemon juice in a cup of water and then add 30 grams of gram flour into it. Use this mask under the chin and wait for 15 minutes. Now scrub in the direction of the hair growth with the help of fingers.
- Make a thick mixture of turmeric, gram flour and curd. Apply it on the skin and leave it to dry. Rub off the mixture gently from your skin and wash your face with cold water.
- Mix chickpea flour with milk to make a thick paste. Add a pinch of turmeric powder to it and apply under the chin in the direction of hair growth. Leave for 20 minutes and then scrub it off in the opposite direction, rubbing the skin gently.
The above mentioned home remedies can solve the problem of under chin hair growth to a great extent. But it is essential to remember that these home remedies are effective only when done regularly, at least once a week. Nothing is going to happen in two or three days.