Hair is an important part of our body and we all invest time and money to maintain it. However, hair has got very little useful purpose, yet, it is something we cannot imagine to live without. Hair gives a unique touch to our looks and beauty which helps us to stand apart from the crowd. Just have a look around yourself and you will be amazed to find the variations in everyone’s hair color, texture, length and styles. When it comes to hair, it is important to know about it in details:
Here is a list of some important and notable facts on hair:
- Hair is the second fastest growing tissue in the body after bone marrow.
- The average number of hair most people have is 100,000.
- At any given time, 90% of hairs are at the growing phase while the remaining 10% are at the resting phase.
- Hair root is alive but the hair that appears outside is only made from dead cells.
- For adults, it is normal to lose 100 hair strands per day.
- Children lose an average of 90 hairs each day.
- On an average, each follicle grows a new hair around twenty times.
- Hair follicle can grow up to 1 meter in length before it stops growing.
- Normally, a strand of hair has a thickness of roughly from 0.02 to 0.04 mm.
- The overall strength of human hair is similar to that of a wire of iron.
- The average maximum length of hair is 70 to 90 cm.
- Hair grows about 1 cm every month.
- The average annual growth is 12 cm.
- Female hair grows at a slow speed as compared to male hair.
- Male hair is denser as compared to female hair.
- The average lifespan of a hair strand is 2 to 7 years.
- The average diameter of hair is 0.1 mm.
- The average loading capacity of a single hair strand is 100 grams.
- Expect the soles of feet, the palms of the hands, and the lips, there is hair in every inch of human body.
- In males, facial hair grows faster as compared to hair on other part of the body.
- If not shaved, the beard of a man can grow to over 30 feet during his lifetime.
Some hair facts according to region:
- Asian people hair enjoys the growth rate of 1.3 cm per month.
- The hair of Asian people also has the lowest density per square centimeter.
- The hair growth rate of African people is the lowest. It is 0.9 cm per month but has the higher density per square cm.
- African hair is more fragile as compared to European hair.
- People belonging to Eastern part of Asian have very straight hair. Usually the hair color of such people is black.
- Caucasians can either have wavy or straight hair with wide variation in hair diameter.
- African people generally have black and curly hair. This type of hair is dry in nature.
- The case of balding can be seen more in African and European people as compared to people from the Asia continent.
- Elasticity in hair is lower in black curly hair and higher in light colored hair.
- Hair of Asian people has higher elasticity and there is also faster hair growth rate as compared to other races.
- Blondes usually have more hair as compared to red, brown or black heads.
- African and European people suffer more from baldness as compared to Asian people.
Now, some statistics and figures on hair loss:
- The issue baldness can be hereditary and can be passed down through paternal or maternal genes.
- Around 35 million men in the U.S. suffer from hair loss problem.
- Around 21 million women in the U.S. suffer from hair loss problem.
- Around 81 million people worldwide go for professional treatment for hair loss.
- Around 40 % of men will have noticeable hair loss by the age of 35.
- Around 65% of men will have noticeable hair loss by the age of 60.
- Around 70 % of men will have noticeable hair loss by the age of 80.
- One in four women will suffer from some kind of hair loss by the age of 50.
- Around 80 % of women will have noticeable hair loss by the age of 60.
- Approximately 25 % men suffer from male pattern baldness before reaching the age of 21.
- In 2008, 811,000 men and women went for either surgical or non-surgical help for hair loss.
- Almost 95% of all types of baldness are androgenetic alopecia, a kind of genetic male pattern baldness.
- Men are more likely to go for hair restoration surgery as compared to women.
- Nearly six in 10 adults suffer from hair loss due to stress.
- Around 58 % of people suffer from hair loss due to medical causes.
- A 12% rise was noticed worldwide in the number of surgical hair restoration procedures during 2006 and 2008.
- More women than men prefer non-surgical hair restoration methods.
- 53 % women see their doctor about thinning hair first as compared to 26 % men.
- 82% of people are aware of the fact that genetics is one of the causes of hair loss.
- As per statistics about 40 % of the population faces the problem of dandruff at some point in their lives.
2010 Hair Transplant Challenge Survey:
In 2010 Hair Transplant Challenge Survey was done to gather valuable information on individual attitudes towards hair loss and hair restoration concept and the success of hair transplant treatments. This survey was done by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery. To find out the results of this survey, click here.
To conclude, the above mentioned facts on hair will surely help you a lot in understanding about hair.
Families in USA buy more medicines per human than any other area. The availability of remedies provided by companies is certainly a contributing matter to prescription treatment abuse epidemic. Many patients already know that medications are made to treat soundness problems, but they can damage us if taken incorrectly. Cialis is a well-known generic used to treat inability to get or keep an erection. Topics such as “viagra alternative” or “otc viagra” are very pop now. Perhaps you already heard about it. What scientists talk about “viagra alternatives“? Other question we must is “over the counter viagra alternative“. Sometimes men who take street drugs like marijuana find it awkward to get an erection and turn to prescription drugs for a temporary solution. Additionally there are various unproven herbal medicines for erectile disfunction.