Swimming is fun as well as a relaxing exercise. Especially during the hot summer days, many people find it very pleasurable to swim in a pool. Whether you swim to reduce weight and keep you fit or simply to cool off, it can take a toll on your hair.
Chlorinated water and constant friction from swimming can be extremely bad for your hair. Swimming often causes dry, brittle hair. But this does not mean that you cannot enjoy swimming. By taking some extra precautions, you can keep your hair healthy and spend more time in the pool.
Some easy to follow hair care tips for swimmers are:
- Before heading towards the pool, you must first try to rinse your hair in the shower. This way your hair will be wet with healthy tap water and so it will not be able to absorb much chlorine from the pool water. This simple tip will help a lot in taking care of your beautiful hair.
- Another important tip is to apply a coat of silicone serum onto your wet hair properly. The serum will help protect your hair from the force of the water. There are different types of hair serum available in the market. Try to choose one according to your hair type.
- It is highly recommended by hair experts to put on a swim cap before diving in the pool. Choose a swim cap that is not too tight or too loose. Tight swim caps will cause unnecessary hair breakage, while a loose one will not provide much protection to your hair. Also if swim cap causes hair loss, change it or don’t use it.
- After coming out from the swimming pool, rinse your hair with tap water again. This way the chlorine that may be in your hair will get removed.
- Once you reach home, take a shower and shampoo your hair. You can use a shampoo that helps to get rid of chlorine and mineral build up. It is recommended for regular swimmers to use a shampoo that contains EDTA or Phytic Acid. Such a shampoo will provide thorough enough cleansing.
- Along with shampoo you must also follow your usual conditioner routine. You must take the time to condition your hair every time you shampoo it, even if you swim every day. This is one of the simplest ways to keep your hair well moisturized and manageable.
- After you are done with shampooing and conditioning your hair, it’s time to moisturize them. A light moisturizing spray or a little oil like coconut oil or olive will go a long way to keep your hair moisturized and at the same time healthy.
- Deep conditioning your hair once a week will also tremendously improve the condition of your hair.
- When you style your hair it is better to avoid using direct or high heat. Try to limit your use of a blow dryer and if possible allow your hair to air dry.
These awesome swimmer hair care tips will help in preventing hair damage caused due to swimming in a pool.