Hair is something that we simply cannot live without as it adds to our beauty, gives a new shape to our personality and offers the right attitude. Take a look around you and you will notice the differences in everyone’s hair color, texture, length and styles. Well, hair is a part of our identity and it makes us different from other people.
But what exactly is hair?
Hair is a fine, threadlike structure. It is mainly made up of keratin, a kind of protein. Each hair consists of three layers – cuticle, cortex and medulla. The cuticle forms the outer layer that defines the meaning of hair flexibility. The cortex forms the middle layer that provides strength to your hair. The medulla forms the central part of a hair strand. Along with protein, hair also has fat, water, melanin granules and minerals. Technically, hair has no living cells above the hair follicle. However, it has many characteristics of life such as shine, elasticity and resilience. There are many more interesting things related to human hair that you must know.
Here are the 50 most amazing facts about hair:
- It is fastest growing tissue in the human body while bone marrow holds the first position.
- Hair is made of keratin, a kind of protein generated by the stem cells of the body.
- As much as 35 meters of hair fiber is produced on a single day on the average adult scalp.
- Most people have around 100,000 hair follicles in their heads. The number can be more or less due to genetic reasons.
- At any given time, 90% of hairs are at the growing phase while the remaining 10% are at the resting phase.
- It is normal to lose 100 hairs per day.
- Over 50% of men around the age of 50 suffer from male pattern hair loss.
- 40 % of female after reaching menopause suffer from female pattern hair loss.
- Gray hair is caused when melanin, pigment cells found in hair follicles are not working properly.
- On an average, each follicle grows a new hair around twenty times.
- Depending on various factors, the hair follicle can grow up to 1 meter in length before it stops growing.
- The width of the hair shaft is only determined by the genes.
- Normally, a strand of hair has a thickness of roughly 0.02 – 0.04 mm.
- The overall strength of human hair is similar to a wire of iron.
- As far as structure and growth cycle is concerned, hair of both men and women are identical.
- Hair has elasticity nature which is lower in black curly hair and higher in lighter colors.
- Hair of Asian people has higher elasticity and there is also faster hair growth rate as compared to other races.
- Cutting your hair will not change the hair texture.
- The gender of a person can never be determined with the help of a hair strand.
- The core structure of the human hair shaft can be used for forensic drug testing.
- Human hair grows faster in warm weather as compared to when it is cold.
- Trimming your hair in every 5 to 6 weeks will not influence your normal hair growth rate.
- Hair root is alive but the hair that appears outside is only made from dead cells.
- Hair grows about 1 cm every month.
- Each hair follicle is completely independent of its neighbors.
- A single hair can support weights up to 100 grams.
- Asian people hair enjoys the growth rate of 1.3 cm per month.
- The hair of Asian people also has the lowest density per square centimeter.
- The hair growth rate of African people is the lowest. It is 0.9 cm per month but has the higher density per square cm.
- Different sizes and shapes of hair roots decide the texture of hair like fine or thick.
- Melanin pigments protect hair from ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- Blondes usually have more hair as compared to red, brown or black heads.
- Hair loss problem is mainly due to male sex hormone, genetic influences, too much stress, busy lifestyle, improper diet, and lack of sleep.
- One inch of hair can tell about the eating and drinking behavior of a person.
- People having a high IQ have more Zinc and Copper in their hair.
- Expect the soles of feet, the palms of the hands, and the lips, there is hair in every inch of human body.
- In males, facial hair grows faster as compared to hair on other part of the body. If not shaved, the beard of a man can grow to over 30 feet during his lifetime.
- The hair of females is about half the diameter of hair belonging to males. This is the reason coarser hair texture in males.
- You must lose over 50% of your scalp hairs before anyone notices the change.
- Dandruff is caused due to the excessive shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp.
- Due to the increase in hormone called Estrogen in females, the growth cycle of hair is slower as compared to that of men.
- Cutting you hair will never increase the hair growth rate. It can only help your hair grow longer than before.
- Pulling out one gray hair will never give rise to seven more gray hairs. It will only damage the root permanently.
- Women experience excessive hair loss after giving birth to a child. This is due to hormonal changes which get backs to normal after some time.
- The case of balding can be seen more in African and European people as compared to people from the Asia continent.
- There is no way to repair split ends which is a very common hair problem faced by both men and women. The only way to get rid of split ends is by cutting it.
- When a hair is pluck out, a new hair starts growing from the hair follicle.
- People belonging to Eastern part of Asian have very straight hair. Usually the hair color of such people is black.
- Caucasians can either have wavy or straight hair with wide variation in hair diameter.
- African people generally have black and curly hair. This type of hair is dry in nature.
Well, the above mentioned amazing and interesting facts on hair will definitely give a clear picture of hair, what it is made up of, how you should take care of it and lots more. Respect your hair type, take care of it, nourish it and you will enjoy beautiful and healthy hair for a long time.
Families in USA buy more medicines per man than any other area. The availability of remedies provided by companies is certainly a contributing problem to prescription curing abuse epidemic. Many patients already know that medications are made to treat health problems, but they can detriment us if taken incorrectly. Cialis is a well-known generic used to treat failure to get or keep an erection. Topics such as “viagra alternative” or “otc viagra” are very pops now. Perhaps you already heard about it. What scientists talk about “viagra alternatives“? Other question we should is “over the counter viagra alternative“. Sometimes men who take street drugs like marijuana find it awkward to get an erection and turn to prescription drugs for a temporary solution. Additionally there are various unproven herbal medicines for erectile malfunction.